As marijuana continues to become legal across the nation and more and more dispensaries open, there will be a need for first-time users and users who have never bought their pot from a dispensary to educate themselves on dispensary etiquette.
Just like when someone goes into a wine shop or a cigar shop, there are things that connoisseurs are going to be expected to know and not just that, there’ll be ways that a user will be expected to conduct themselves.
Here are the Top 5 etiquette rules when visiting a dispensary:
1) Do your research–Go online or get a magazine and check out the reviews on your local dispensaries. Whenever you go into a dispensary, you should expect it to be like a pharmacy and expect quality service, cleanliness, a friendly staff and a positive atmosphere.
2) Have a good attitude–Be polite when you go in there and know that the budtenders are there to help you. If you plan on frequenting a specific dispensary and making it a regular stop, learn the staff’s names and most importantly, let them help you. That’s what they’re there for. Ask questions, let them know what you feel you need and establish a comfortable vibe.
3) Have your ID at all times–Almost every dispensary is required to ask for a state identification and a doctor’s recommendation before you get to shop. And if they don’t ask you, you’re probably in the wrong dispensary.
4) Respect other’s privacy if another patient is nearby–Again, this is like going into a pharmacy, so you may hear patients disclose a few details that you may not have been expected to be listening in on. The same way you would want people to keep your secrets private, have the courtesy to do the same with your fellow patients.
5) Turn the smartphone off–Almost all dispensaries don’t allow the use of cell phones once you’re inside. Not only is it a distraction, but it’s also a security issue. So don’t make phone calls, don’t send texts and don’t send pictures. Take those few minutes to get the cannabis you need and get back on the phone once you exit. Your dispensary will thank you for it.