Featured

Cannabis Brands Need to Understand How Appealing Edibles Can Look to Children

Cannabis brands are responsible for the safety of consumers and their children when it comes to cannabis packaging and branding. If cannabis brands take the time to consider who their audience is and understand that consumers of legal marijuana may have children, then there is a good chance that parents will be able to control accidental overdoses with their kids and pets. Simple things such as child proof packaging and effective storage solutions for consumers can make a big difference with safety and responsibility.

A mother in Washington began to panic when she found her 1-year-old daughter behaving oddly and found out the little girl had found what she thought was candy at a friend’s home. Legal marijuana is a rapidly growing industry and everyone should work together to make it a safe industry as well.

TACOMA, Wash. – A Tacoma mother says her 14-month-old daughter got sick after eating candy with marijuana in it.

The woman, who does not want to be identified, said the toddler found the candy at a relative’s home without anyone knowing. When she went to pick up her daughter, the girl started acting strangely.

“She was very lazy. She was not alert,” said the mother.

Her daughter wasn’t eating, not walking, and every time someone picked her up, she’d start crying.

The mother took the baby to the hospital several times before doctors figured out that the child most likely consumed a marijuana edible.

“They said it happens frequently because it’s legal now,” said the mother. “It’s scary. It’s a problem. I never thought of it until after it happened, how much of a problem it really is in our state because (marijuana) is legal.”

According to Washington Poison Control, there has not been a noticeable uptick in poisonings involving marijuana edibles and minors.

Last year, there were 49 cases of kids under the age of 5 accidentally eating treats with marijuana in it.

“The common scenario we are seeing with the younger kids– parents are leaving the products laying out. They have it in the gym bag or purse. The kids are rummaging through the purse or gym bag and that’s how they find it. Parent has taken it out of the packaging and the child doesn’t recognize it,” said Dr. Alexander Garrard, Washington Poison Center.

Nurse Deborah Schultz with Washington Poison Center says she gets a call from a concerned parent about accidental ingestion of marijuana edibles at least once a week.

“It’s pretty scary for the parents because obviously their kids get pretty stoned,” said Schultz. “Some kids get pretty agitated. And their kids get very sleepy.”

“We got a grandfather who was sort of babysitting the kids and found some edible candies. He gave the 7-year-old three (pieces). There was a 5-year-old. I think he ate a couple also,” said Shultz. “They felt very funny. The 7-year-old was crying a lot and got really upset because she didn’t know what was going on. She was pretty agitated.”

Read more…

Tags
Show More

Brian Wroblewski

Brian Wroblewski has a passion for writing, travel, food and family. Since working in and around the cannabis industry since 2008, Brian brings a unique perspective to the cannabis journalism space. With a focus on emerging brands, moving the cannabis industry forward and an undeniable passion for truth in business and journalism, find some of Brian's posts across the web on digital marketing, cannabis and a variety of different topics.

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close
Close